Monday, January 15, 2007

Getting Shot is Unlucky

I went to see Primeval with Geordie on Saturday night. The trailer led me to believe I was going to see a horror movie based on the true story of a serial killer who has killed over 300 people and remains at large. I dig scary movies.



The movie starts at 10:20. We get held up at the New York Fries stand (awful fries, pissy teenager, broken card reader) so we don't sit down in the theatre until 10:30. By 10:36 we realize that the "serial killer" in Primeval is a CROCODILE. A CROC-O-DILE. And the human lead is the other Prison Break guy, not Wentworth Miller. I'm obviously not impressed.

So by 10:40 we are sitting in the adjacent theatre watching Blood Diamond. I actually feel lucky that Primevil was so atrociously bad in the first 5 minutes that it forced me to pick another movie I hadn't intended on ever seeing. I cry. I gasp. I am moved. And Leonardo is H-O-T. I don't even mind that Blood Diamond is nearly three hours long. I sit still. It is that good.




Since the movie is 3 hours long we don't get out of the theatre until 1:20am. Quentin Tarentino says that a good movie makes you want to go home, have some pie and talk about it (in fact, in True Romance, which incidentally is probably the best movie ever - Christian Slater's character, Clarence, says to Patricia Arquette's character, Alabama: "It's just after I see a movie, I like to go get a piece of pie and talk about it..."). Well I'm not one for pie, but I do like oysters and beer, so we go for a pint and some oysters at Smokeless Joe's, talk about the movie, make some new friends, and head home after last call.

It's now 2:30am, we're walking through the club district, up Duncan, just north of Richmond. A street fight's breaking out and I want to do something about it. A bunch of guys are starting to throw punches at one littler guy. I feel this is unjust. Geordie wants me to mind my business, there are dozens of people around, plus, it doesn't concern me, etc. For once, I agree to just keep walking. We turn the corner onto Queen going towards the streetcar stop at University and two "shots" ring out from around the block. Geordie's all "gunshots" and I'm all "those aren't gunshots." I check CP24 the next day to prove Geordie wrong, and in first-time-ever news, Geordie's right and I'm wrong. It turns out two people were shot at the intersection of Richmond and Duncan minutes after we walked by. So that was a potentially very unlucky sitch that I avoided. Man, it's good to not be shot.

No comments: