Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Lucky (2000 and) 7

Day 2 of the New Year and I'm trying to figure out if my missing luck expired for some luck thief as the clock struck midnight on the 31st and whether it's all mine again for 2007.

I ended up with 7 candles on my birthday cake yesterday and since I'm not turning 7, I hope that was some sort of lucky sign. Btw, our homemade (and by homemade, I mean taken out of the box and made in our home) cakes are legendarily ugly, check this one out.


If you're wondering about the Happy Birthday tiara and the hideous fuschia necklace (it says "It's my birthday"), they were bequeathed to me at 12:01 am on January 1st by a guy named Don at the New Year's Eve party I was at - his birthday had just ended and mine had just begun. I had planned to find someone with a January 2nd birthday to pass them on to, but didn't, so possibly killed some magic there.

As for first footing - we were the first people across my friends Kirsty and Ryan's threshold on New Year's Eve, so I hope that was lucky for them. Kirsty's mom, Molly, was there and noted that all our travels from house to house (we hit a few places that night) were in keeping with the tradition of first footing and I'm all "OMG, I just learned all about first footing," so that was cool. We weren't home so no one hit my house until the next day. It was my Dad who was first across the threshold. That's gotta be lucky.

Another thing in the luck department... I woke up on my birthday totally congested, sneezy and watery-eyed. That would seem unlucky to most, but it means that I'm allergic (or at least I look allergic) to our recently-acquired pain-in-the-ass guinea pigs. Two guinea pigs: free to good home. Yessss. Um, but if you're actually interested in adopting them I totally take back the part about them being a pain in the ass, they're really very sweet, just look at 'em. The orange one's famous - he appears on the Family Lab interstitials on Family Channel. And they come with all the guinea pig accessories you could ever need.


2 comments:

CT said...

I'm sure you meant to say "Family," without the "Channel."

Lucky Jodi said...

I followed the rules. Because Family is a word that has meaning outside being the name of a channel (unlike, CBC, YTV and Teletoon for example), the convention is to add "Channel" in print when the logo doesn't appear alongside to avoid confusion. Same with Global/Global TV and, uh, Treehouse/Treehouse TV, no?