Thursday, December 28, 2006

Happy Hogmanay

So here's the deal. As I've said before, I definitely feel that Lucky Jodi can make a comeback in 2007. And since January 1st is not only the first day of the new year, but also my birthday, ringing in this special day right is of utmost importance.

Up until 8 days ago, I thought I had that wrapped up. Geordie was at a party about a month ago. He came back from the party with the news that Caroline & Trevor had invited us to their condo for New Year's Eve. They threw a great party last year complete with a delicious tasting menu of about 10 dishes with a different wine pairing for each one. Ah the wine. Long before the cheese course began we were playing "I never" and by time the last bite was taken it was time to dance. On the furniture of course. Needless to say we were pretty happy to be invited over again this year.

Except we weren't. Invited I mean. They weren't even having a party. Geordie had misunderstood (something like "we should do that again sometime" was interpreted as "see you at our place on New Year's Eve) and less than 2 weeks before New Year's, I was without plans.

Chris Tindal to the rescue! There was to be a bus. A party bus. It was going to Montreal. I LOVE Montreal. It is the perfect place to retrieve your lost luck/ring in the New Year/turn a year older. Family was secured for babysitting purposes. Yesssss.

Except Tindal turned the party bus into a rental car. And worse, he turned Montreal into Almonte. I'm sure Almonte is a very nice place to go to die-I-mean-party but it's no Montreal. And a party bus-read-minivan, even to Montreal, with just me and Geordie isn't quite the same as a party bus full of partying people.

So today, with just 3 days left to secure a plan, I turned to *sigh* google. My search went something like "luck new year's eve toronto" and it led me to some info about the Scottish celebration of the New Year called Hogmanay. Apparently, it involves torches and fireworks and whisky and shortbread. It starts on December 31st and can last into January 2nd. Now that's a party. Seems that the Scots (my ancestors incidentally) are a superstitious people (huh, that might help explain a little sumethin sumethin) who believe that what happens on New Year’s Eve affects the luck one will have throughout the coming year (see! told you!).

One of the customs of Hogmanay is "first footing" where friends visit each other's homes after midnight bearing gifts - whoever the first person is to cross your threshold after midnight combined with the nature of their gift determines what kind of luck you are going to have for the year. Apparently having a tall, dark, handsome man with a gift cross your threshold first is luckiest. Makes sense to me.

I don't know exactly how to get a piece of this first footing luck however. I mean, I won't be home for a while after midnight 'cause plans seems to have fallen into place today: Kirsty + Ryan (with brand new baby) and Geoff + Jen (probably without brand new baby) + Geordie and I (no more brand new babies for us) will go out for dinner at the funky Kubo Radio on Queen East and then those of us without brand new babies will head to the surely-debaucherous-probably-story-worthy-very-likely-hijinks-
inspiring-eclectic-and -often-beautiful-people-filled party at Bill Angst's.

I wonder who the first person crossing the threshold of my house will be after midnight. Does it count if it's us coming back to our own house? Probably not. Huh. So, um, see you at my place on the 1st? Early. Do your best tall, dark, handsome impression and bring the whisky and shortbread. This lady's lookin' for luck.


Oh, and if you're looking for a cool birthday present for me, I'd enjoy having my name added to the January 1st Wikipedia page under "Births." Although clearly you would be jeopardizing your Wikipedia credibility (wikibility? credipedia?), the upside is that I would love you forever.

Happy Hogmanay!

1 comment:

CT said...

Maybe you should leave a note asking tall dark handsome men to please leave their gift and luck in your mailbox.

And my credipedia is pretty important to me. But maybe. When were you born again? You're older than me, right?